View Single Post
Old 2012-10-06, 22:03   Link #193
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I guess we'll have to wait and see; it does look like he survived. I guess if you want a novel answer, it should probably go to the Q&A thread. (Even if he had died in the game, I am assuming the he didn't set his own NerveGear to fry him... unless that violates his twisted concept of fairness, despite otherwise giving himself in-game immunity to death... )
As an anime only viewer, I keep wanting to expect that people never actually died. That, since users in game were isolated from the real world, threat of death was really all he needed to do in order to accomplish his goals.

That said, there have been enough posts that have taken this death thing as said and done, as I assume LN readers are inadvertently letting their pre-knowledge color their posts, that I have to assume people really did die.

Which brings us to the question you probably asked rhetorically. If he was being "fair", then he should have died upon his avatar being killed. He didn't, so he wasn't fair at all. Which makes his choice of invulnerability that much more interesting. It hints at a far different personality than simply being a high-minded genius with a whack sense of morality. If he made himself invulnerable despite having nothing to fear, then he's just a pathetic gamer who thrives on easy victories, which sheds a completely different light on his character, and negates any attempts he made at the end to sound like he had some higher purpose to it all.

In fact, with the personality his invulnerability suggests he has, I'm surprised he didn't do more to interfere with people's lives in ways that would give him a power high. I'm sure it would have been an easy feat for him to have simply killed people (or put them in some in-game stasis), and take over their avatar/skin to live their lives. Can you imagine an episode or two where he decided to take over Kirito's avatar and screw Asuna senseless during their honeymooon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Well, my grandpa seemed to enjoy rehab a lot whenever he had a stroke at 88, so it might actually be pretty exciting!
I can only speak for myself, but I found rehab to be immensely depressing. If it was simply a physical matter, then it would have been fine, but it's the mental aspect that kept crushing my soul and greatly elongating a process that isn't exactly quick to begin with.

In the case of SAO, the fact that they're bucking reality by showing Kirito walking, despite having been bed ridden for 2 years, I can see that either rehab is going to be unrealistically short, or we're going to have a time skip or two.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote