View Single Post
Old 2006-01-30, 01:09   Link #25
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Eh.. Disney IS making movies just for kids, and that's fine, the white/black perspective is more understandable to kids (smaller children can even understand that there CAN be a gray area) and helps in getting good messages across to a young audience.

And Disney SHOULD stick to that sort of children movies, that's what they were good at.

And about the gray area, well, I don't remember Brother Bear having a CLEAR villain. Villain perception changes as the main character changes, and I believe that's more than enough for a children's movie.

Plus, that gray area is a matter of perception definition Others like it big, others like it small, others don't want it at all, and I don't believe Disney should start philosophy on the subject, It's kids we're talking about, make it strong, make it simple, make it hopeful, make it loving.

And about anime getting more popular, well, I'm not sure the 1-2% percent rise in western anime viewers is much to boast for Face it, we, anime watchers, are still looked down on like village idiots

But true, I don't want a 5th Pocahontas, a 10th Lion King, or a Xth "Yeah, we got good cash with Z, let's make another 20 sequels"

As for Pixar, I hope they make something as good as Toy Story now Can't wait.
Dude, relax the smileys. They're like a strong spice: fine additive to enhance flavor, but no one really wants a bowl full of salt.

Disney needs to stop making movies just for kids. You think Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi got to be the highest grossing movie in Japan because it was made just for kids? Don't underestimate small children. In many ways, they are wiser than adults.

And, though anime is still a niche culture in America (same as in Japan, really), its popularity has fairly exploded in the last 10 years.