View Single Post
Old 2006-10-23, 04:10   Link #286
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'm Canadian and I recognize it. Fox-Hunting. But where's his rifle and entourage.
Guns? Oh no, that would too humane and not sporting at all. Instead they use a pack of thirty strong specifically bred (and starved prior to the hunt) foxhounds. Said foxhounds will pick up the scent of foxes and hunt them. When they'll find them they'll tear them to pieces as a reward. This, apparently, is a civilized way to keep fox numbers down (whereas paying a keen-eyed gamekeeper with a .22 calibre rifle to pick of alpha male foxes is clearly heathen and crude). Oh dear I went waay off-topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334
Besides...I'm not sure they'd have this type of facility inside an academy...golf, why not, but fox-hunting fields? I'm not sure about this, all things reconsidered. Unless, of course, the Ashford family possesses huge expanses of ground to accommodate such an area within the academy complex....
I suspect, like you said before, it was a good way to highlight the priviledged pursuits of the young Britannians, rather than aiming for cultural accuracy. It would be highly unusual to have all the foxhunting trappings inside a school like the Ashford Academy. You'd need the fields, foxes and the foxhounds for a start. Even if they did have fox-hunting that would spark even more hatred in Area 11 as foxes (kitsune) are scared spirits to the Japanese...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote