View Single Post
Old 2011-06-06, 06:09   Link #80
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
In all honesty, I think you are wrong.

Look back to how Ohana was characterized thus far, from episode one to nine. It's not like she has suddenly changed from one personality to the other, she was always this girl who tries to do her best to help others, despite her own insecurities, and rushes into things without thinking them through.

In the very first episode, when she got to Kissuiso, how the first thing she had done was take out what she thought was weed from the garden. It was a very silly thing to do, especially when she should have logically went inside to introduce herself first, but she still done it. Or how she took Minchi's blanket and hung it outside the Inn's window, or how she asked to be punished as well when Minchi was slapped. Or even when she tried to defend her when Tooru was scolding her.

Ohana was always bullheaded, from the very start. She just didn't show it much at the beginning because she was new at Kissuiso, and had no idea how to act with this group of people she was going to be living with. The longer she stayed there, the more confidante she grew with her headstrong attitude and forcing her way and view.

This started in the second episode. Throughout it, she was frustrated that no matter what she does, she gets nothing but problems. She tries to take her frustration on trimming the grass, she is told not to be haughty. She tries to clean one of the rooms, she gets accused that she lost something. She tries to lie to protect Nako, Nako goes and continues to ignore her. At that point she says screw it and decided to face the two of them head on and make them agree to not avoid her.

So instead of Ohana shifting her personality, I see it as something that she gradually developed and became more apparent the more and more she stayed with the rest of the staff. I honestly think you are getting too hung up on the change in the tone of the story that you think that the characters themselves are changing, when they are developing all the same.

Now the point about Ohana questioning her worth to Kissuiso not having much build up, I agree. Ohana these past episodes had been always over confidante and let nothing stop her that we didn't really get a good feel for her expressing any doubts on being that essential to the Inn, but I disagree on saying it was overwrought, at least the way it was presented in this episode.

The way Ohana came to the fear that she wasn't useful was due to how everyone assured her that everyone was handling everything fine without her. Being sick, she felt that despite the hard work she put in, waking up early, and trying her best, nothing would be lost if she was gone. So she was very conflicted in what to feel, she was clearly happy that nothing wrong happened due to her illness, but at the same time she felt disappointed that she wasn't needed (we can also say that her fever made her more emotional as well, so she wasn't really thinking clearly).
The way I see it, this episode sort of answers this question. The Inn can run without her the same as it did back then, but there would be a loss of a morale among the staff.

I think that the biggest change Ohana had brought was make the entire staff feel more like a family more than anything, so while it's not necessarily a major change to the Inn, it's certainly a positive one.

No I also thought this episode was very Aria like as well. That being said I don't think we are going into low fantasy with this series (or at least, we aren't going to see anything concrete about the supernatural here.)
I agree with everything here.

Furthermore, considering my favorite parts of the episode are when everyone one was visiting her one by one and showing their concern for her in their individual ways, I think it goes so far into saying that she's actually an integral part of the Kissuiso family and not just someone who came and suddenly started working there. Really if the inn was fine without her and they never needed her, then there wouldn't have been any point actually actively helping her if the doctor said the fever would go away on itself. They were actively making her comfortable and helping her out despite having their own work and tasks to do. This shows that she is, indeed, part of this family. They need for her and care for her.

She's part of this family now.