Thread: Hataraki Man
View Single Post
Old 2007-02-02, 21:04   Link #216
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
As the person who ended up doing the final "cut" of that scene, let me tell you it was extremely hard to translate well.
I thought there was a lot more going on in this scene than "met the ear" of this gaijin.

Quote:
it should be pointed out that "oyaji" is not as harsh as "geezer" sounds in english.... It's just a hard thing to do naturally, I'm afraid.
I didn't take offense; my reaction was meant more in jest than anything else. I understand that other languages often include words with no real equivalent in English.

Quote:
As for the content of JIDAI itself, I think it's something like a comination of "Time" and "US weekly". Celebrity news (including celebrity sports players), fad diets, fashion spreads, serialized novels, investigative journalism, sex tips, etc...

They tend to be things like "35 reasons to dump him! When to know to let him loose!" or "The new skin treatment that's sweeping the nation!" or "Giant breasts are in! How best to show of that bust!" (I'm not kidding about that last one... if I'm remembering correctly). Anyway, it's pointless magazine cover drivel .
Are these the subjects on the JIDAI covers, or on the other magazines? These don't sound like the topics that a magazine that supposedly appeals primarily to men would cover.

Thanks so much for these informative comments, Quarkboy! I recall another comment earlier in this thread about the difficulty of translating some of the material in this show. Every time one of you talks about your work on this show, I'm impressed with your dedication to the content.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote