View Single Post
Old 2012-08-08, 20:54   Link #1
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Replacing Windows Live Mesh (looking for a new file synchroniser)

Microsoft recently released a new version of their Windows Essentials suite (previously known as Windows Live Essentials), replacing Windows Live Mesh with the SkyDrive desktop application. In essence, Windows Live Mesh (WLM) will probably be killed off sometime in the near future.

My major use of WLM is to sync my iTunes library between my two computers (it currently sits at about 82GB with around 14k files), as well as backing up data for several games and applications that I use.

I'm now looking for a replacement file synchroniser before Microsoft kills off WLM for good, but I'm not quite sure if there's something comparable to it.
  • I already have Dropbox and SkyDrive for my smaller files, but it would definitely not be practical to back up my iTunes library to either of those services.
  • I use SyncToy on occasion to back up the iTunes library to an external HDD, but it's only usable "on-demand".
  • Tried SugarSync for a tiny bit, that didn't end too well.
  • I'd prefer not to use iTunes Match, either.
Anyone have any suggestions for a good file synchroniser software? It must be real-time, support local PC-to-PC file synchronisation and preferably be free with good conflict resolution.