View Single Post
Old 2006-04-07, 00:08   Link #52
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
As specific as you when you asked the cro-magnon of questions..."Funny like One Piece how?" As if I even had to break it down in general generalities to have you understand how simple the comparison was...As if you had to enroll in Yale just to understand the simple comparison I was making in comedic dynamics...So simple your head might explode from over-thinking...
Well sorry for expecting for you to try to bring up similarities that weren't simply oddly off generalities. In which I wouldn't say one show has the same comedy of another based solely on singular simplication of characters as if the differences or existing other factors in their personalities outwayed made generally universal those generalities.
Quote:
I'm sorry if you felt I meant he coulda just beat Cell, I totally meant him holding back in parts of that fight to show Gohan his moves.. So I'll take a mulligan on that..
Again, it's not really holding back when he has no chance whatsoever to actually destroy Cell. But thanks for taking the mulligan anyway.
Quote:
As for the rest, It's a perception...Hell the commercial campaign on Cartoon Network used to even say this (the underdawg thing)...Not that that's canon by any stretch, but I think it's fair for me to say that DBZ was the only anime I watched where the main core of protagonists (Goku especially) seemed almost unbeatable or had an air of insurmountability to them...Many times it was the villains fighting uphill to challenge (In most shonen or any cartoons really it's visa versa)...having to do stuff like absorb already ridiculously strong beings like 16 and 17 (Cell) because simply being a combination of every strong character in the series isn't strong enuff (IMAGINE THAT)...or having to absorb Gotenks, Mystic Gohan, and Piccolo (buu) just to have A CHANCE to beat Goku (Do you still not grasp the concept of my underdawg point?)...The Villains had to go to beyond ridiculous lengths just to be able to not get totally outclassed by various Super-saiyans...Usually that's visa versa for the most part...But eventhough they went thru these things giving them the persona of an underdawg IMO, that doesn't mean that AT THE END OF ALL THE TRANSFORMATIONS AND ABSORBTIONS that Goku was still technically stronger than them...Can you give an inch and tell me this isn't going over your head? Now you could accept some of this or bullishly continue to argue me in wingdarkness fashion...
For a guy who had the air of being unbeatable him getting killed off by Cell's self explosion and Gohan defeating Cell puts a bullet in that.

And again while the villains have their absorption of other beings to reach a new level of strength we still have the heroes with their fusions time and again. Much less that Buu without any outside influences whatsoever in his bodily structure was quite powerful as it was in which Goku still needed help to actually defeat it. An underdog situation still has to be in the confines of you expecting them to simply lose because they are considered weaker. Cause progression of strength to be stronger pretty much went both ways in odd or just simply out of the butt fashions.