View Single Post
Old 2006-06-03, 00:55   Link #37
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
@4tran - Well you have commonly expressed your respect for Lacus' character and have even defended alot of stuff I deem non-sensical at best...You want to be able to make the point that young political minded leaders like Lacus exist and have existed many times in history...So if she has a modicum of realism...if she operates in the realm of relating with these young leaders in real societal history, then we must also use or gauge her accomplishments in terms of comparison...these accomplishments IMO based on GSD is "absolute victory" and we all know the one that achieves this gets "the rightousness" aswell (whether it be the pure pink-pixeled kind or the Djbril kind)...Given the circumstances of the C.E. vs the evidence of Lacus' manuvering to accomplish what she did, shouldn't the comparison atleast equate if her actions are as plausible as you deem??
Your wording is slightly off: I think that young leaders are historically commonplace. Some of these leaders were quite effective, and a few are renowned enough to be given a place among greatest leaders of all time. Hence Lacus being a great leader at a tender age is not really implausible.

I most certainly do not think that Lacus achieved "absolute victory"; I think that taking such a term seriously is a sign of naivety. One simply does not gauge the plausibility of an accomplishment by examining whether a historical action exactly parallels a hypothetical one. Instead, it's better to compare the relative scopes of the accomplishments with the resources available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
maybe because Relena made mistakes, while Lacus is perfect in every single way? (In CE, she never made a mistake----she's always right)
That's utterly bizarre: basically, you're suggesting that we should judge Lacus more harshly than Relena because Lacus is the better leader! This is especially telling since Lacus is hardly free from making mistakes; she simply was better at recovering from them.