View Single Post
Old 2008-02-15, 20:13   Link #87
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicNarcotic View Post
Yeah GSP's head definately wasn't in it. Honestly I can't wait for GSP to dominate Serra. Honestly I don't think Serra is that good a fighter.

I wanted Lidell to win so bad when Jackson fought him. Jackson's a good fighter but I just can't stand that arrogance. God I can't wait till someone knocks him off his damn high horse.

Yeah, I think it's been about 2 years since Fedor fought anyone worthwhile. I think I heard Randy was talking about fighting Fedor in October once his contract is up. Hopefully though, the UFC will stop being such jerks about the contract.

Yeah, that definately wasn't Silva's best showing. He threw like what, 2 kicks the entire friggin' thing? Lack of clinching, no knees. It was more like a boxing match than anything else.
Well, you know what they say about Liddell. Everyone who fights against him tends to abandon their battle plan and go for a punchout. I think Renato Sobral is the best example of that =P Pro grappler goes and tries to stand up with Liddell... it's just stupid..

Jackson is indeed annoying. He was a novelty fighter in PRIDE, and now he's a superstar in UFC. I can't believe he beat Hendo either.

The upcoming Hendo vs Silva (Anderson) fight should be nice. Light Heavyweight is getting overfilled with talent. Silva exposed the Middleweight class for its weaknesses, and as much as I love him, and as cool of a guy he is, and as funny as his voice is ( =P ), dominance is never that fun. I hope Hendo beats him. That'll make the middleweight class a lot more fun, now that Rich Franklin has basically proved himself unworthy of the belt after getting his nose broken TWICE by Silva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstar View Post
Those guys don't look like what they can do and that's scary. I've been thinking currently how the UFC is now, how would Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, or Jet Li go up against them
Jackie Chan is a big no-no. Jet Li is probably more of a performer than a fighter. Bruce Lee we may never know, but weight class matters a LOT in MMA. That's why when you see the weigh-ins, they always are at the highest weight allowed. Even a one or two pound advantage can be killer, since half the fight you'll either be on top or under the other guy.

There are a lot of instances of lower-weight fighters taking on higher weight classes and winning (go Youtube Royce Gracie's earlier fights, before BJJ became standard, and definitely watch Kazushi Sakuraba's fights against just about everyone, including his one hour match against Royce), but that era is pretty much gone now that grappling is more or less fully integrated into every fighter's repetoire.

You really should see some of the first UFC fights though. Some of those weren't even MMA--they were just one style vs. another, sans weight class, and the consistent winners would always be the guys who basically had the grappling technique. It's pretty hard to knock someone out, but before strikers had any grappling training, it was hella easy just to grab onto their waist and take them down, then work on them on the ground.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote