View Single Post
Old 2009-11-13, 00:01   Link #42
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
That's actually what annoyed me with the series. Harems are so late-1990s/early-2000s. The world really doesn't need more. >_>;;
Amen. Tenchi Muyo was amusing when I was still in middle school, and not much after. In highschool, I saw the drama with one cheating girl, let alone a number.

It's not a commitment, and I certainly wouldn't do anything more than pieces here and there, but idle hobby is rethinking/planning anime series, and Index struck me as one that could be much improved with modest changes in general. Since I might/might not, it may as well be posted here. Sort of 'rewrite of index', mainly going of the anime.

...well, that's what I will outline later, but it's late. Some general points to chew on in general.

-Eliminate harem. Love triangle/more might remain, but the default female character status will not be family/lesbian/lusting for Touma. First love interest to go is Index: completely platonic/filial love, but it works better in context. But you don't need love interest to have a strong connection/friendship, and not everyone centers around Touma anyway. Touma also isn't so much clueless as not interested for various reasons; while Misaka may get butterflies in her stomach, for example, she's still a middle schooler and he's older than to fall for kiddy love. (As she herself matures, though...)

-Change ages for some characters. Style, for example, really will be as old as he looks. Touma is in highschool. Index, actually is older at 22, and not a loli at all. She's taller and older than Touma... but her memory issues sort of inverts it in some ways. Others, not so much. While Touma is slightly older as well (18), Index is the biggest change. Not a loli, and a Sister with a legitimate backing for being able to protect others.

-Mix more guys, so it's not so much 'Touma and girl of the week, with exception of guy of every four weeks'. Mainly means giving more role to the male characters.

-A wider focus on international aspects of psychics in general (as an emerging force), and the diplomatic issues involved with Academy city. Most OC's come in from this aspect, though none are to be overpowered (the one esper involved, while rapidly growing with treatment, starts at level 1 and has a single ability: make barrier). So while Academy City is technically all peaceful and stuff, there's really a lot of espionage going on. Anti-skill isn't just anti-esper: it's counter-espionage as well.

-A Religion of Science. I kid you not, there is a branch of Christianity called Christian Science, and it has very similar themes to Espers philosophy. There is healing through prayer, for example, but part of the Christian Scientist philosophy is that god is all, god is truth, and knowing that truth will be demonstrated in reality. In context of series, they would be some of the earliest psychics, though they attribute it to god and not pure science. But a real-life religion provides a link between the arcane churches and the aethiest espers. Index, while not a follower, ends up taking a day job at such a church in order to help pay for stuff, like Touma's hospital bills

-More focus on anti-skills/judgement. Kuroko gets a supervisor (the foreign esper who makes barriers), and gets a larger role in observing/affecting things. She also gets some character development. Touma, of course, runs into Anti-Skill more often.

-More Accelerator good/evilness, including some esper battles that make him work to win. (!)

Stuff like that. Tweaks across season 1, really, with some new characters/concepts/alterations thrown in to make more interesting.

Oh, and Touma loses a fight because, yes, some people can brawl much better (or more ruthlessly) than him, and imagine breaker don't mean jack if you think you can win with it alone.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote