View Single Post
Old 2010-06-29, 17:35   Link #81
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
I used to feel put off by fanservice, back in my days when I preferred action/sci-fi/drama/paranormal titles, mostly. But then, I began to "expand my horizons" and found out what a hopeless romantic I was. Naturally, I began to watch a lot more harem/moe/slice of life type stuff.

I eventually came to accept the fanservice as part of the way things were. There are degrees of it in different series, and I usually decide how seriously I'm going to take it as soon as I figure out what the degree is. If it's light, I go along with it. If it's being shoved down my throat (like the panty-shot-per-minute in episode one of Rosario+Vampire), then I basically ignore it... if the rest of the series has some redeeming quality of some kind.

So, being the old fart that I am, if the story and characters are something I think I can get into, I basically brush off the fanservice as something intended for the younger crowd, and focus on getting the most out of the other elements of the series -- art/direction/seiyuu/story/characters/music/etc.
Very nice. If the problom was the entire exaistance of fanservice, then yes, your post makes perfect sense. The problem however, is the forced, unjustified, non-fitting fanservice. Some fanservicing in a moe show for instance is usually not a problem, same goes with romance and comedy. Because it goes along well with the general atmosphere of the show. But the fan service some of us are complaining about is the type that's usually unfitting, distracting, and in most cases cheapening the otherwise deep and tasteful anime. If you get what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
This for me too, so sad Working, Mayoi Neko Overrun, Angel beats and Arakawa are already over.
In the case of Basilisk and Gunslinger Girl I had to force my self into the mood and bring my self to start watching whatever was next on my to-be-watched list. Otherwise, I would've probably spent my entire life waiting to gte back in mood, heh. (judging by the animes you listed here, I don't think you really felt sorry for me, and my gory examples :P)

Anoo .. Ojisan-tachi (Mushi-san to Bexo-ojisan ): I really hope you don't pay attention to that loser who left you these comments. Not that it's any of my business, I just wanted to say that I personally think the older cast is adding a touch of richness to this place - I'm sure the same can't be said about your negrepper, and that your posts are always something to look forward to. Again, not that anyone asked for my opinion (lol), but I don't see how age has anything to do with appreciating drama, action, cuteness, or whatever poeple seek in anime.

Last edited by Samurai dono; 2010-06-29 at 18:24.
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote