View Single Post
Old 2010-06-29, 22:12   Link #86
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
HAH! I was called a "dirty old man" by one pathetic little anon negrep for showing interest in one series. Seems we have at least one "age prejudiced" little lamer in the shadows
I've always pictured you as Animesuki's cool old guy.

Anyway, look on the bright side: have you ever had a pointless anon negrep that actually had a noticeable impact on your rep? Think of it as mathematical proof that the little troll’s opinion matters less than yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
Well, I was trying to address the issue of fanservice, since that seems to be a common thing to "hate." You had mentioned that specifically in a way that seemed to be exclusive. So, the phrase that came to mind was "refined tastes."
I actually think you can fit moe shows into “refined” and “unrefined” categories too, but I always hesitate to give examples because I spend enough time arguing about moe over the internet with people outside the fandom… I don’t need to sow discord within it. fellow moe fans. I will, however, submit that fans of Horo and Matsuri Shihou have exquisite taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
What's not to like about anime? It's an incredibly imaginative medium that is only limited by its innovators (and of course socio-economic issues). About the only thing negative that can be said about the medium, is the fact (or at least my opinion) that animated drama will never equal live-action drama (and this is mostly due to the whole valley thing (that is not to say that voice actors/directors/etc cannot help to bridge this gap somewhat)). Besides that, though, anime/animation is filled with amazing potential that, while squandered at times, offers endless entertainment and sometimes more.
I don't think that animated drama can equal live action drama for realism, but sometimes that's not the goal.

I remember one of the more sophisticated analyzes of moe that I've read referenced the biological concept (and yes, it appear in nature) of a "supernormal response" - basically, a response to an imitation that is similar to but stronger than a response to the real thing. I would submit that this concept is useful for explaining not just moe, but quite a few of the other attractions people have to anime as well.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote