View Single Post
Old 2010-06-30, 13:45   Link #90
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I remember one of the more sophisticated analyzes of moe that I've read referenced the biological concept (and yes, it appear in nature) of a "supernormal response" - basically, a response to an imitation that is similar to but stronger than a response to the real thing. I would submit that this concept is useful for explaining not just moe, but quite a few of the other attractions people have to anime as well.
I like the "supernormal response" explanation, myself (yes, I've read the essay you mentioned). Never thought about it much outside of moe, though. But now that you mention it, I recall one of my personally most favorite "memorable scenes." It's from Air when Yukito jumps into the stream to play with Misuzu. She's completely surprised and starts prancing around in the water out of delight.

That's a scene that could easily be re-created with live action, but there's a truly magical something that comes from the artistic medium of anime that a live action version could never capture... in my mind, at least.

Thanks for pointing that out.