View Single Post
Old 2010-06-30, 15:08   Link #92
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantek View Post
Restrictive maybe in a technical sense... But how about creative sense?
From a creative sense? Well I was just voicing my somewhat disliking of the technical aspects commonly found in anime, but as for the creative side any animation can instill creativity. My overall thesis is basically that I believe traditional animation nurtures what is most important to its art form, the animation itself and that anime (due to a wide variety of reasons) lacks many times in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
You should continue. What you're saying is interesting, and I agree. Is this something you can see in every show [aka, including movies like Summer Wars or some other well-animated movies/shows] or is it just most anime?
Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
I too would liked to know if GuidoHunter was talking about all anime in general or just most anime in general.

I have never compared western animation to anime and I am not so sure is Guido Hunter comparing wertern animation or western cartoons to anime....
I'm basically comparing the traditional style/techniques of animation to the styles/techniques generally used in anime. You may as well call it the West vs the East I guess since the West is where many of the techniques I'm speaking of are most prominent, of course they have been used in many other countries (all depends on the studio/artists decision).

As for whether I was refering to all anime, no I wasn't, just the vast majority of anime. There are anime out there that break from the medium's usual style/techniques (Miyazaki's works being the best example), as there are Western shows that do as well. There are many deciding factors that come into this, like budget/cutting costs, the artistic style of the sudio/artist, and tradition in that medium.

Since people want me to continue I will, but I'll state one more point before moving. I don't want people to think I'm self-righteous about my statements. If I come across as so, don't take it personal as I'm probably just caught up in my own rant/anaylsis/beliefs.

Anyways I'll probably post about other points at a later time, but for now I'll tackle the idea of why? Why do these techniques rarely appear in anime and why do certain restrictions seem prominent. Well the obvious thing would be budget, but I believe it could be a lot more than just that.

As I stated before (I think) animation is about movement; the smallest movements can add to the sense of realism. I sometimes get the impression that only traditional animators (the West/America if you want to label it as such) seem to understand the importance of such a concept. Maybe this is due to many of the old-time animators growing up in an era when all animation had to be drawn again and again by each individual frame. It was a time-consuming and endearing task, which's only worth was from the stisfaction one felt with the final product. It seems as though there is a self-imposed level of quality that Western animators expect from themselves. They give me the impression that they understand that animation is not just about telling a story; it's about bringing it to life.

That bolded statement above is a firm belief I hold in animation.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2010-06-30 at 15:37.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote