View Single Post
Old 2013-10-19, 12:32   Link #181
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I also ask because I sometimes see people openly (outside of spoiler spaces) bring up a certain Madoka Magica character in pretty telling comparisons relating to that "every anime fan and their mother knows it" scene.
Please report these so they can be tagged (and if necessary warned/infracted). People should just use spoiler tags for all comparisons. It's not about whether the thing in the comparison is "really a spoiler or not", it's just the fact that you're bringing up another show that other people haven't watched. Our "Spoiler Policy" is really defined more by what is "on-topic" and, as it says, "Anything outside the scope of a topic is considered a spoiler." We specifically wrote it that way to avoid this sort of ambiguity. Any time you bring up another show at all (while in a different context), tag it.

Another recent example of this where I added spoiler tags was when people are discussing eroge adaptations, and they say something like "this show will follow the main heroine route unless this show goes for a twist ending, like <x show> and <y show>". People just say this casually as if everyone has watched those other shows and knows that the "main heroine" doesn't end up as the final romantic pairing. Now, if someone hasn't watched the show, you ruined the twist for them (even if you didn't say who the final pairing is, you've biased their viewing experience to watch for things). So this is another case where the entire comment should be tagged, referencing what show you'll be referring to, but without explaining why. Or, better yet, just avoid giving examples and people who have watched those shows can fill it in with their own experience. In some recent cases, I edited the posts by removing the examples, since the comment could stand without it.

So anyway, summary: all comparisons and references to other shows must be tagged, no matter what is being discussed, not based on whether it's a "spoiler" but based simply on it being a comparison to another show.