View Single Post
Old 2014-06-12, 23:06   Link #198
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Maybe it's just me wanting those who were banned for spoilers to come back and liven up the place once more? Perhaps.
You've brought this up a number of times, but honestly... being permanently banned on this site is not trivial unless a) you're an obvious spammer, or b) you've made a duplicate account. For pretty much everything else, you have to build up a pretty long history of interactions with the staff to finally reach a "permanently banned" stage, and show a pretty clear inability to listen to repeated direction typically from multiple people.

I've seen a number of cases where people finally got permanently banned after many such interactions (sometimes many dozens), and when they explain their "story of what happened" to others, they go "oh I was banned for this one small thing". Of course, they conveniently omit the entire history of interactions that led to that point because they want to frame the whole thing like "The staff are abusing their power! They banned me for some trivial reason and I didn't deserve it!" They think that if you make the whole thing only about this one issue in isolation, it didn't deserve the consequence. But our infraction system is designed to build up over a long time with warnings and infractions that build progressively and many smaller consequences before getting to the end-point.

So I can safely say that no one has been banned from this site for posting spoilers. They got banned because, despite multiple attempts to explain which sort of behaviour is not allowed and how they're expected to behave in accordance with the rules, they didn't listen and kept doing the same (or other similar) inappropriate thing. Even if you change the policy, the fundamental problem of not listening and not being able to remedy problematic behaviour remains the same. To the case in point, I'm not sure who in particular you're referring to when you're talking about people who were banned "for spoilers", but I highly doubt that was actually the reason. It may perhaps have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

That aside, even with the above points about source material readers coming at anime from a totally different point of view than anime-only viewers (which I generally agree with, as someone who has been in both camps), I also can't view source readers as scorpions who can't help but sting the frog/turtle that's carrying them across the river, dooming both. If you see anime-only viewers and are like I MUST NOT ALLOW THEIR MISCONCEPTIONS TO STAND; THEY MUST KNOW THESE FUTURE EVENTS SO THEY'LL APPRECIATE THE WORK LIKE ME NOW, then sorry, but this site's anime threads may be a bad environment for you to discuss in due to that compulsion. All we ask is that people discuss it in the source thread instead (or a more appropriate thread if one exists). I honestly don't think it's that burdensome (and again, this is speaking as someone who has been in both camps personally).

I'll also say that some of the sections that may be "lacking in life" may also be due to natural interests and trends shifting, as these things are all cyclical.