View Single Post
Old 2012-05-11, 19:55   Link #515
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think this is one of the situations where having read the manga is probably a detriment to enjoying the anime on its own terms. I'm glad I'm not burdened with that.
Again: I'm not complaining because the anime is not following the manga with a 100% precision. I've said as much earlier. This is something that would've bothered me even if I hadn't read the manga. Because yes, I understand what they were trying to get at, and that's fine, but on the other hand they introduce a character and a situation that raise certain questions that end up not even being asked, let alone answered. If they weren't planning to do anything more with this character and this situation they could've just rewritten it, or even omitted the whole thing, but as it is it's just... there. Over and done in five minutes,)which by the way also affects the credibility of the effect this "adventure" has on Kaoru since he barely even interacts with her), without touching on the deeper issues.

They introduce a mother who is known to have left her husband and her small child, hasn't contacted her family ever after, and who is now working at a hostess club (that may or may not be a glorified brothel). This woman is now meeting her son for the first time in 10+ years. You don't bring in a character and a situation like that in a story and then not address these details whatsoever, and then shoo her out of the story for good after a very short time. Either tone down these details or address them in one way or another (and IMO "strange, I never thought to ask her about it" is not a very good way to do that).

Apparently it's just me, but this bothered me and I think the way the anime writing staff handled it wasn't very elegant.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote