View Single Post
Old 2012-06-19, 00:09   Link #12700
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Shorn hair historically was the mark of a slave, someone not-in-charge, or indentured servant. It was also was used to mean you were a servant of Rome (part of the "uniform").

The corporate dress codes, in general, have no purpose other than to remind you they own you. The company where my wife works - at her location there's no public contact other than voice, yet they have an inane dress code that makes a high school code manual look mature and it changes every few months. I used to dress what I'll call "academic style" at one company (casual jacket, collared shirt, no tie) and the whining that if I'd "just wear a tie" was hilariously pathetic when I'd ace every performance review. "cut your hair and wear a tie because its professional" ... No, professional is working your ass off to get it right on schedule, to go out of your way to protect the company's interests, knowing your needed skill sets, learning a new one at night for use the next day, etc etc.

Ever notice how the strictest dress codes are wielded onto the lowest paid employees? The ones who can least afford it?
Personally I'm fine with having to keep my hair short, what I don't like is how there's no reason for my school to force anyone who isn't fine with it.