View Single Post
Old 2010-10-18, 17:31   Link #42
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
I've been focusing on getting Kokoro's bad endings today. As a result, I've been recording how to get the bad endings, so I'll post a walkthrough here now of my own Bad Ending Walkthrough.

As a note for Kokoro's route, I've learned that there's several invisible counters that pile up, such as a "Stress Counter". By performing certain actions that irritate Mayuzumi too much, it raises the Stress Counter. The only way to get Bad Endings 4 and 7 is to raise this Stress Counter too high.

I'll keep updating as I get more.
That is quite helpful.

And funnily enough, I was wondering if there wasn't any kind of "flags" indeed, considering the amount of variations possible.

Speaking of variations, a positive -and- negative aspect of the game is the fact that it retains the actual state of your progression and shape both routes with it (which explains why the walkthrough included in the fantranslation pressed the point you have to go through Satoru's route after being done with Kokoro's good end).

This is actually a good representation of the loop, thus the "infinity".
However, the problem I see there is the fact you have to deliberately finish a bad end so the flags are "reset" which allow you not to be toasted for a random reason you may not figure.

Seriously, a flowchart with this game will probably have a very funny layout, considering the atrocious number of different flags, triggers and whatever happy changes you can have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin View Post
Did you try to figure it out though? This game doesn't spoon feed you the answers at the end. If you need that to enjoy a game, then yes, it's not for you.
I don't pretend to understand completely 4as' point of view, but I'm confident that he isn't the type of being the spoonfed reader (his answers here and Ever17).

I would say that the possibility to answer fully this story is however extremely convulated: as I explained, the critical information is only provided after a unreasonable amount of efforts (all the 31 bad ends), or in a unnatural fashion (tips instead being integrated in the plot), veiled with a unpolished storytelling.

The fact the director himself has to admit the flaws of this game is a definite proof it is hardly a "fair game".
There is an obvious amount of guess / theorycraft you have to go through, but it doesn't mean that the answer is satisfying considering you will reach a limit to this process.
And even after you go all the pain in checking every damn tidbit of information (including the final 100% tip, the mystery girl), it doesn't reward you with data that can explain everything.
In short, it is as if the writers were purposedly trying to make the tale overly complex (which is not, considering how obvious some points are, such like Yuni), then suddenly make the final truth vanish from your sight, rendering it as an impossible goal. Of course, we know why it became like this, but you can't blame people to rant about R11 considering its storytelling.

If you want my personal analogy, I would say that R11 is similar to a imaginary case where Higurashi no Naku Koro ni would end with Minagoroshi, without its resolution and epilogue: Matsuribayashi.
In essence, you know what is the culprit/issue/origin, the modus operandi/basis, however, you don't know the background for it, nor how to deal with it etc.

Of course, R11 did show a "conclusion", however it was cut short by this forced "loop", which is not what you can consider as even "open ended": it is blatantly unfinished.