View Single Post
Old 2012-12-14, 16:02   Link #1050
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
There is a drastic difference in changing the name for the hell of it and changing the names in order to get the point across.
That being said, Arfoire is no better than Maqiquone, because even saying out of loud doesn't always make sense either (be it english native or not). In fact, only those who know what's a flashcard/R4 would catch the reference, so I don't particularly think it is worse or better albeit a tad unecessary.
Not really. If someone knew what the R4 was but didn't have any knowledge of Japanese language, Arfoire would be he better choice of name to have. But yes, it's true that the majority probably won't even know what the R4 is in the first place so I'll meet you half-way.

Quote:
Some other changes are however a tad more questionable than that, and it is actually not better than change characters names like Kasumi and Shin into Ashley and Casey (gross exaggeration notwithstanding).
I only agree with this if the setting of the game/anime/whatever is set in real-world Japan. If it's a completely fictional world there's a lot more leeway to change the characters names.

Quote:
I disagree: when you actually translate/localize a fiction, you have to bring the points that should be understood by the audience, without putting your own perspective in it.

*SNIP*
Okay, but who's to say these "inconsiderate" and "crass" changes to dialogue don't make it more endearing for a North American audience? That's who they're marketing to and therefore need to appeal to.

I have never played the Japanese version of these games and I don't intend to, so I was completely unaware of these behavioral differences. All I was told was that Neptune was an airhead, and that's what I got in the NA version. I was told Trick was a lolicon, what's what I got in the NA version. To me, that isn't any different from my expectations and I have no complaints.

I can name several characters I find way more endearing in their localized states than their original selves. I find Japanese voices annoying sometimes, Japanese comedic dialogue is often very tame and confusing rather than funny so I'd rather hear jokes and references I can understand and laugh at, and characters frequently cussing and saying crude things is something a lot of North Americans can relate to.

Ultimately, the goal of localization is to adapt a foreign franchise into something that another country can find more endearing and understandable without changing as little of the core aspects as possible, and I feel this series accomplishes that well enough.