View Single Post
Old 2012-07-19, 15:13   Link #89
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senn1n View Post
Apparently in japan the term "god" is very different from our western god. We here have the jewish-christian-muslim idea of god, which is basicly an omnipotent eternal and immortal being, but most importantly its infinite compared to us, it has infinite power and wisdom, etc. So we can't imagine a god being killed because it's impossible by definition. In ancient cultures like in the greek or north mythology the gods were much weaker. An example of that is Thor in recent movies, he is supposed to be an ancient god, but he can be killed. In Shintoism there are many gods, i don't know the details, but my guess is the ideas in Naruto are mainly connected to this sort of religion. I mean a god being some kind of super-animal as it has 10 tails, it being simply a force of nature, and we weren't told anything about it's intelligence. In western culture god is super-intelligent, humans cannot possibly understand that level of thinking, that's the opposite of what we have seen of the 10-tails until now. Someone who knows well Shintoism could probably explain if the 10-tails can be based on something there.
I can't speak much for Japanese mythology due to my ignorance of it, but "God" as the monotheistic being, as far as Abrahamism ideas go, is more of a incomprehensible and spiritual being, a creator for all things in existence without equal...With ancient Greek and Roman mythology, things get complex when there are multiple deities that each have their personified rule, the existences of such that layer each other starting with those that created and started with the beginning of existence and descend on down into more deities, and, barring any interactions with mortal heros, are all considered immortals...

Going by what little I know, I could probably conclude whatever basis in Japanese mythology the Juubi is based on is comparative to Greek mythology's primordial deities, in that it created the way the world is in the Naruto universe...Although by that same account, while one of it's names "Ame no Hitotsu no Kami" suggests, well, it's most literally a one-eyed god, I believe the "god" part is more human/mortal-based as a name, since it's very otherworldly in comparison to any normal human observer...It's other names, with some research, "Datara" (with possible reference to Ippon-datara) and "Daidarabocchi" make it more of a monster, like the Titans or Giants, with it's actions being very destructive and demon-like, and yet still a "creator" of sorts none-the-less...The same "god" classification could be put into debate with the Rikudou Sennin, a mortal savior himself who defeated a deity or otherworldly monster of sorts...

When real-life Japanese mythology is incorporated into ninjutsu itself, I almost wonder if there even is a real god/deity of any kind that's worshiped in the Naruto universe...Jashin doesn't count because of a single mad man, however...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote