View Single Post
Old 2013-04-09, 14:35   Link #3781
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Which again what was the whole point then? If you're going to argue that Shepard cannot place faith in the Geth why can he place faith in the Rachini and Krogan who have the capability of destroying the Galaxy?
I never once argued that Shepard (or the galaxy) couldn't have faith in the Geth. In fact, I explicitly said "I expect everyone would have been able to work out their differences in time, but that is just with the Geth." Future synthetics, and there will be future synthetics, would be the problem under Control or Destroy, but not Synthesis (depending on how far wish we to draw the abilities of Synthesis).

The only species I've left out of the peace discussion were ones Shepard never had any real contact with, consequently what they may end up doing is beyond the scope of Shepard's understanding (yet another reason to chose one of the endings the Catalyst provides).

Quote:
Javik explains that they were close to victory but then the Reapers showed up and all was lost by that point so yes it's possible.
No, I meant it's impossible to know what would have happened if the Protheans had actually used the Crucible (I was actually agreeing with you that I shouldn't have made the supposition). (I.e. the relays would have been destroyed, so their "empire" would have fallen, and since there would have been few left to begin with, the various races they subjected would have risen up and soon the Protheans would have either become extinct or simply been one of many races across the unconnected galaxy).

Quote:
The problem is that the Reapers continually state that it will never work despite the evidence and then presents synthesis which makes all of Shepard's efforts worthless to begin with regardless of how you choose sides between the Geth and Quarians.
Fair enough. I don't view it that way at all (mostly because I play the story as it is, and the only way to get the third option is to unite the Geth and Quarians), but we aren't budging so I guess will have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
In fact it also cures the Genophage so there wasn't any need to have Mordin sacrifice himself!
How does Synthesis cure the Genophage? The Genophage would have been altered right along with the Krogans, so if it still existed then it would still work. As it is, a new Genophage could still be created after Synthesis (thankfully, my Shepard believed in the Krogan as led by Wrex, so I doubt a new genophage will be needed)...

Quote:
The whole point of the journey is that after all that hard work you shouldn't be giving a button that uses space magic to fix everything right off the bat and make everything you did pointless.
Nothing I did was pointless, and everything added up to allow me to have a chance to fundamentally alter the galaxy. The subtext and themes of the series all led to this encounter, all led to this moment where I decide the fate of existence. Simply defeating the Reapers wouldn't change anything, the core dilemma, found in each game, would still exist. So, I was given the ability to somehow end that dilemma. Instead of the somewhat mundane decisions that only really alter personal preferences (sleep with Liara, sleep with Kaidan, be a biotic, be a technician, etc) or small scale dilemmas that needn't mean anything beyond a few thousand years (save the Krogans, save the Rachni, etc), I was given a true story decision that would alter the galaxy forever (most other such decisions in the game were made for you already). Do I break free of the cycle, find a way to continue it, or find a way to make it meaningless.

We fundamentally disagree on this ending, and that's fine. But, since we aren't doing anything but repeating ourselves now, I'm going to bow out.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote