View Single Post
Old 2011-01-31, 16:55   Link #240
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
So, why restore that power? You got your wish? Why need your power?
Oh before the inevitably obvious answer from you and needing another post to jog the logic -> Why fight Witches? Why not run away?
You'll note that's a question that several of us have postulated. We know that some MG's would really like having that power, but you're right; there would be girls that wouldn't want to fight anymore. If one could simply stop anytime, then Homura wouldn't be so desperate to stop Madoka from becoming one. Several of us have postulated theories.

Let's hope the writers answer the question.

Quote:
Heh, and i could then sue you for breach of contract if your contract did not state the terms clearly. Spirit of the contract? Is the judge supposed to know the spirit of the contract? What is the basis for law and why the heck are the law books so many? Can i admit evidence gathered through illegal means such as breaking into someone's computer without a court order? Its the spirit iof justice and everything right?
Lawyer contracts are not Kyube contracts, thus there's no analogy.

Quote:
Sure no problem, the beam gets directed out to the real world
I'll take your own reasoning: show me an attack leaving the witches world and heading into the real world.^^

Quote:
Lumping these 2 parts together because they are answered by the same answer. What does 1 represent?
What does 0.5 represent?
Does a 0.5 chance always happen?
Can a 0.9 chance NOT happen?

So when does something happen for sure?
Does that take infinity?
1 is basically 100% in scientific terms. Let me explain it this way. I put you in a long room, and tell you that there is a prize when you reach the other side. However, I tell you the max distance you can ever move at once, is halfway. So, if the room is 100 feet long, you can only move a max of 50 feet in the first trip. Then 25 feet. Then 12 and a half feet.

See where I'm going?

Mathematically speaking, you'll never reach the far end of the room, because you can always divide a number in half, thus leaving you with some distance between you and the wall. Practically speaking, though, you'll get close enough to touch it.

This is what the theorem represents, since you can't actually reach infinity. You can, however, travel far enough to reach it for all practical intents and purposes. This is what I wanted to illustrate with my poker example. If I deal you five cards at random, the odds that you'll get a royal flush is incredibly low. However, if I can sit there and deal a hand to you over and over for as long as I like, eventually I'm going to deal you a royal flush. The chance goes up as time passes.

Understand? The more time passes, and the more individual MG's make wishes (and we have no idea how long this has been going on), the greater the chance that one MG will think about how she can end the sad system with a single wish. Or even if it takes more than one wish, she can seek out other potential MG's, explain the situation, and see if they'll help add a wish that can further correct it.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote