View Single Post
Old 2013-05-12, 14:58   Link #72
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy View Post
At no point did I ever say that the fan service is "meant" to represent culture. I am making the point that fan service IS a cultural feature, regardless of whether it is meant to be or not.
But I don't see much difference between fanservice in Japanese anime and fanservice in US productions. This is what I mean when I don't see my complaints as a lack of cultural understanding.

I am also not saying "belly dancing" can't be part of the characters culture. But the way it was animated (at least the first part) comes off as just adding more fan service.

It's not the belly dancing itself is the problem to me. It's the way the camera pans to the girls boobs and behind that feels objectional to me. I admit it wasn't the worst thing ever (and I said as much in previous posts) but lets not kid ourselves that this scene was primarily meant to be fanservice not tell us anything important about Gargantia culture.

Quote:
Lol I am starting to get the feeling now that the real issue is that Kim is against objectification.
Of course. Is there something wrong about that?