View Single Post
Old 2006-11-04, 16:35   Link #34
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The Shallow-Minded Men

I could have not mind much the subplot about Mr. Wantz, but Oland's performance became emotional that I sympathized with his point of view.

Oland is afraid of being unable to save lives, watching helplessly how people are so frail. He commited monstrous atrocities in his past and regretted every single of it.
Light came when he arrived and was accepted in Section III, because he's now made precious comrades which gave him peace of heart. Yet, still his past looms on him as a shadow of dread to remind him that there's a killer inside his soul.

Oland wishes to redeem himself by making a better country serving under Section III; I guess he understands how tough and brutal was for Mr. Wantz to have dedicated a good portion of his life doing the same thing over and over but not getting anything for it.

This subplot just feels to me not contributing much with the pacing and storytelling except for making clear three details:
1. Oland regrets his past actions.
2. He spent a deal of his life serving as a killing machine, obeying orders without question.
3. He now wants to right his wrongs and comes to appreciate that he's not alone, he has comrades. However, it is imperative to him to start walking the path he chooses for himself and not resorting to the ways of his past.
Which I presume it would be almost impossible, unless he goes searching for the truth of his nature.

Animation-wise the episode dropped in quality for that department, but story-wise introduced several key story elements.
Spoiler: