View Single Post
Old 2012-01-13, 08:10   Link #50
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Take Batman, for example. When George Clooney dons the cowl and cloak, we get the "campy" version of the caped crusader popular in the 60s and 70s. With Christian Bale in the role, however, the character suddenly becomes, at last, the Dark Knight of the 1990s and beyond.
You forgot to take account the writing and the script of "Batman and Robin". No matter who was casted for that role of batman, the writing of that movie turned that batman campy. Eventhough casting George Clooney made it even campier.

edit: i just remembered something that also supports my previous statement. In "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin", Robin was played by the same actor: Chris O'Donnell. Yet in "Batman and Robin", Robin degraded into more of an idiot due to the campier story and script.

Let's take an example of the Saikono live action movie. The actress who plays Chise doesn't look close to her manga counterpart, but that did not change the story in any way. Though the movie did change lots of events, but that was due to the time constraints of being a movie not how the characters looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
In anime, this "casting" process begins with character design. From what I understand, it's usually a give-and-take process between the artist and the writer. They have a certain personality in mind, and start the design from a range of common character templates, that is, the stereotypical forms that lead to perceptions of "similarities" that everyone here is pointing out.

It's through iterative reworking that a "unique" character design is born. Like C.A., I feel there are sufficient differences in many of the designs highlighted in this thread for them to be considered different, rather than "similar" or even alike.

Perhaps as a kind of creator myself, I feel it's a bit rude — if not insulting — to suggest that "the designs are the same" when, to me, it seems to be more a case of people not putting in enough effort to see and feel the differences than there being actual similarities in the art.

It's a bit like saying that The Song of Ice and Fire novels by George R. R. Martin are the same as the The Lord of the Rings novels by J.R.R. Tolkien because, you know, they are fantasy novels written on the same epic scale. To say that would be utterly disrespectful to Martin.
Characters looking similar and stories looking similar are very different things in my opinion. If you want to compare characters who look similar , you only have to look for a few traits to see the similarities. If you want to compare stories who are similar, you have to look into it with greater detail.
Your comparison with the song of ice and fire and lord of the rings was rather shallow.
That's comparing True Tears, Clannad, EF a tale of memories and Mashiro iro Symphony and claiming that those series are similar. Besides that there is romance and it has school settings, those series have little in common.
However series like Death note and Lost+Brain have much more in common,
- both series have a main character who are highly intelligent with special powers
- both main characters want to revolutionize the world using their powers
- both main characters uses people as mere pawns to achieve their goals
- both are chased down by a similar intelligent person
- both main characters failed at the end

Last edited by hyl; 2012-01-13 at 09:01.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote