View Single Post
Old 2011-05-29, 12:10   Link #85
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
But what would happen to Menma in this scenario? The series is obviously focused on the characters more than on the wish, but it's still an important plot point. I guess they could just say Menma's wish was for everyone to be happy and have disappear then... it'd be corny but that could work. We know she always put others before herself after all.
That's a fair question. I still say you could start the series with a mystery and end it with a mystery - I don't think you need to explain just what Menma is and why she was there, but she does need an "ending" just like everyone else. Perhaps it's as simple as her seeing Jinta happy - maybe even with Anaru - and realizing it's time to move on. I suspect they'd come up with something more poetical than that, but who knows what that might be.

I will say this. If you look at Mari Okada's series - the ones where she seems to really be in control of the writing process - I think she tends to favor understated, thoughtful endings over grandiose, theatrical ones.