View Single Post
Old 2013-04-21, 04:18   Link #588
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMomoko View Post
How extremely sexy some characters are and it makes me jealous.
LOL.
While a lot of female anime characters are really smoking hot, many of them are too thin to be considered realistic, and would even look anorexic if their height and weight data are translated into a real life person.

This article from Sankaku tells us how and why.

It's pretty disturbing to me though that any anime character with a BMI of over 20 would be considered chubby or flabby by anime standards, even if they would meet the normal BMI requirement of 18.5-22.9 in real life. Prime examples, as shown in the article, are Mio Akiyama from K-On! and that girl from Amagami SS whose name I forgot.

However, more and more people now don't trust BMI, since it doesn't take muscle mass into account. Some real life people are considered overweight or even obese by the BMI measurement because they have really freaking huge muscles, but I guess that's the case for action anime characters than in any other genre.

As for anime characters that are too thin by the BMI standard, note that:

1. Most of them are teenagers or little kids, and therefore are still growing.
2. Most of them are of Japanese or Asian descent (though the Japanese are one of the healthiest, if not THE healthiest, people in Asia), so they have different normal measurements than any other race. So they really look smaller compared to say, Caucasians.
3. It could be simply a case of people releasing those height and weight data of anime characters NOT DOING THE RESEARCH.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote