View Single Post
Old 2010-05-05, 16:31   Link #377
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

You are still missing the point: why do people have to focalize on the mass media brand definition of a term? It isn't like you have to stick with the purest definition of a term to label something.
Heck, there are figures of speech and whatnot. Furthermore, you are asking something too much from a setup regarding -japanese- high schoolers... you know, the very same ethnic group that can picture americans like bunch of blonde muscle yankee, as much as some americans can only picture asians as computer nerds.
I'm using an exaggerated example, but things cannot be taken as their fullest definition, when it is all about what people consider with it.
Remember that Angel is a notion that belongs to the western public. By no mean asian culture has a "deep" concept remotely similar to usual christian (or whatever other religion) use for them. Heck, it is often trivialized as "agent of god", nothing more.

And you are starting to be extremely picky for nothing: the setup shows bunch of dead people stuck in a high school environnement, with a nonsensical need to fulfill a high school life until they ascend. They even eat and sleep... so let me ask you something: why would they get surprised that a spiritual being would fulfill the same kind of little fancy need, while they are plain souls that should "theorically" need no food or rest?
If the said entity has to monitor stuff there, would it be a bit more "logical" that the said entity doesn't stand out, unless necessary? (I mean, when kanade isn't taking action with Guard Skills, she could act like any student, in order not to stand out, albeit very discreete and... "mute").

And for the last time: they believed that Kanade had a tie with God, and the usual "entity" that has such tie is an angel, that doesn't mean they considered Kanade literally as an Angel.
Seriously, the whole discussion is meaningless and could pretty well never emerge if say... they decided to call Kanade "kitsune" instead of "tenshi" (you know, the "little" fox under Inari's commands): the concept would be the "same" (yes i'm overgeneralizing, please bear with me), but funnily enough, the discussion here would totally not kick off.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-05-05 at 16:42.