View Single Post
Old 2013-01-26, 12:47   Link #498
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
I have often been criticized in the past for liking Key's adaptation of the visual novel Air. Whenever someone wants to lob a complaint at it they generally make fun of the distinct ("noseless") character designs or the "incomprehensible" plot. Or, if the person is particularly uncreative, they'll just whine about how it's "not as good as Clannad."

I've given up pointing out that Air came after Kanon but before Clannad. There are obvious issues with the story because Key hadn't hit its stride yet. It's certainly not "incomprehensible" though unless you need to be fed plot-points like breadcrumbs. The ending is not painstakingly explicit because it doesn't need to be. If you've been following the story up to that point then you should be able to figure out for yourself what happens to Misuzu and Yukito.

And as for the character designs . . . you either love them or hate them. There are many design styles that I don't like (Hisashi Hirai's, for example) but I try not to overtly criticize them simply because they're not appealing to me personally. In fact, I fell in love with Air long before I had the pleasure of watching it simply because of the character designs. I saw an image of Misuzu with her arms outstretched, golden-hair streaming in the wind and knew I had see her in motion. The set of singles was the best blind buy I've ever made.

I wish more people would give Air an honest chance without holding it up to Clannad (or Kanon, for that matter), but people will be people. To each their own
Hey....for me, Air is the only Key VN that holds pride of place. Kanon is decent while Clannad just plain disagrees with me. That bittersweet ending of the sky...just like Iriya no Sora and Sola

Unless they make that Angel Beats VN of course, then Air can finally have a partner www

Quote:
Yup.
The art is beyond gorgeous.
Slideshow of Misuzu under the sky with Natsukage playing....bliss