View Single Post
Old 2007-03-19, 23:34   Link #30
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I think the reason that Kaioshin is having problems getting along with everyone (actually, it's probably the other way around) is because Kanon is quite unique in the fact that it's all about the experience, not the finale - the journey is more important than the destination, if you will. Naturally, not having actually watched it, he can't factor this into his opinion at the moment.
This anime version was my first experience with anything related to KEY (never even heard of them until this show was announced), so maybe one of the Kanon veterans can corroborate my claim.

So, I think that under normal circumstances, Kaioshin would probably be just fine in making forming his opinions before actually seeing the show (lord knows I've done it with stuff like Mai-[whatever], Fate/Stay Night, Naruto, and others without ever actually watching it) provided that, upon viewing, he doesn't necessarily change his opinion but at least reevaluates and reconsiders it and remains open to the possibility of it changing.
Well, I guess I can add a few thoughts to this. First, personally, I tend to think that all shows are about the journey, because what I "get out" of anime is much more than can ever be summarized or expressed as opinion. In other words, to me at least, there's a lot more to watching anime (or watching/reading any story) than opinion polls, plot summaries, forum discussions, blog posts, and highlight reels. That's not "anime" -- that's not "experiencing" a story unfolding. Kanon's no exception, whether you're talking about the game, or either anime adaptation.

But, secondly, and changing gears completely, everyone forms first impressions based on superficial factors -- it's hard-wired into our human DNA. And sometimes we have no motivation to look beyond our first impression, and just stick with that gut feel no matter what. That's fine. But you can't pretend or argue that a superficial impression is the same as knowing and understanding something deeply. You can't pass it off as being equivalent in any way. If so, then, as I said above, you're not really "experiencing" the story any more deeply than as a summary and an opinion. That's what talking about anime is about, but that's not what anime (or any form of storytelling) is about.

Anyway, this is why I have a hard time coming up with some sort of a numerical score for a show, this one included. In the end, for me, it just comes down to a simple question: would I want to experience that story again? For this show, the answer is a definite yes. That's why I just can't imagine how someone could form a comprehensive opinion and defend it without ever having seen the show. A story is so much more than the sum of its parts.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote