View Single Post
Old 2003-12-02, 15:28   Link #19
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempis Curious
I'm lovin' the Valkeries, but I'm still bored to tears with the characters, storyline, and music.

I'm one of the old fans (a good number of people on this board weren't even born yet when I became a fan) (GAWD that's fun to say!!!), and I don't think this series has yet to come close to the OS, Mac+, or even Mac7. (Mac 2 currently holds the Kempis Curious Award for Worst Anime I've Ever Seen.)

Mac0 isn't bad, but I'm disappointed so far. It doesn't seem they went all out and spent a lot of money on character designers, writers, and song writers like Mac+ did. How can it even be Macross without memorable music? Or some of the world's best music like the other 3 Macs?

-k

Hikaru Ichijo, Firebomber, Isamu Dyson, and .... uh... I just watched it and can't remember his name.
Man, I've been into anime since the late 70's, and I have to say that if Macross II was the worst anime you've ever seen, you've lived a blessed life...

Personally I disliked Mac 7 much more then Mac 2, but only by a marginal amount. I thought Mac 2 had some good ideas occassionally at least, but bad direction and execution (not to mention just boring at times and with uninspired, bleak production design). Good mecha designs, nice that it followed up on the DYRL continuity rather than the TV series, the Marduk were slightly interesting. I can't believe some people thought the Minmay Attack used in the beginning was actually using Minmay, though. She would have been pretty damn old by then if it was her, lol. They were using the technique, as they had relied on for too many battles by now, not the performer herself.

Mac 7 just annoyed me too much. Way too formula and cheesy for my taste. Good music at least.

But neither series are anywhere near as bad enough to make my worst anime category by a good ways...at least I could watch these through (well, I gave up on Mac 7, but I would have watched more if shown it).

As for the overpowered stuff issue in Mac 0, I think this is just typical revisionism. The same thing was true for the Gundam OVA's...I think the idea is that you just have to imagine that this is Macross told based on current interpretations of the technology, and if Macross itself were retold in this fashion, it's likely the mechs would be that much better and cooler by that much in turn (such as that nifty control system for the VF-0)...
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote