View Single Post
Old 2012-02-06, 09:27   Link #110
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
i'm probably speaking with biases here since i loved the muramasa stories. muramasa's blades were graded low as well, none of them were considered meito (as far as i know of) and yet muramasa was a very skilled swordsmith and his swords were of high quality as well. the reason for this is he lost favor with the shogun, tokugawa ieyasu, because the latter deemed his swords too dangerous to use and considered them cursed. he forbade his samurai from using them and those who did were executed. and so the muramasa blades were either destroyed, discarded, hidden away or had their signatures erased or replaced. so who knows? perhaps some of the meito in japan now were muramasa blades once, they only had their signatures altered so muramasa never took the credit for their deeds and fame. this story sounds too much like kitetsu and his cursed blades. sandai kitetsu is not considered a meito either. and the reason for that is probably similar to that of muramasa's swords.

the way the muramasa blades resurfaced years later and how those who rebelled against the tokugawa regime took on these swords and even carried them openly, reminds me of how zoro disregarded the so-called curse and went ahead and used sandai kitetsu anyway.

it just seems incredibly unfair to me that just because of reputation swords would be deemed weak or unusable. so rankings don't really mean much to me. but then, in one piece this does not exactly apply. as for wado ichimonji, i guess it's because oda didn't give us (yet) a background about its history. i don't like the look of it too. sure, it's strong and quite possibly the most powerful sword zoro has ever owned, save for shuusui. but it looks like something a woman should wield, which is probably why i think the rightful owner should have been kuina. i don't think it really suits zoro's masculine and rough nature. this might change if we get to find out more about it though and when that happens i will stand corrected. perhaps it originally belonged to a famous onna bugeisha or woman samurai, who knows? it's just my opinion of course, don't worry about it.
Well, I like the cursed sword idea, but if you consider the fact that there are 2 (essentially) stronger versions of the same sword around, it just lends itself to being replaced. That, or zoro reaches a level where what weapon he uses doesn't matter.

As for Wado ichimonji, I foresee him giving it to Tagishi (spelling) as either a way of entrusting his faith in her way of justice or as an expression of his feeling (shipping =p). And then he gets one of the top tier of swords.