View Single Post
Old 2017-02-11, 09:22   Link #485
4th Dimension

The rest of the Nanoha's path subtitled
Stage 2-4 -Dark Piece Signum, Dark Piece Zafira, Dark Piece Shamal, Revi/Levi, Dark Piece Hayate
Stage 5 (The Will of the Book of Darkness and Stern/Starlight Destroyer) + End

Stage 2-4
I only really read the translation as I was adding the subs and couple of things surprised me. For example since I did not know what Shamal was saying to me before I finished recording, I learned too late about her situation and her possible post battle dialogue. As is I trounced her ridiculously since her AI is terrible, but after I learned that she knows that you DESTROYED her only friends (Dark Piece Shamal has memories of Shamal from before Hayate), and now understandably wants revenge and is willing to give it her best shot to defeat Nanoha. But since I trounced her handily in the end on top of the anguish of loosing what she considered her only family, she was not able to do ANYTING against and has FAILED her companions. Had I known that I might have gone easier on her and let her do some damage to me at least so she is somewhat content.

The standout is Hayate, who completely no sells the entire angst thing that Dark Peaces have and is just as happy as the real one and only wants a practice match with Nanoha. And since I bungled that match through overconfidence and she nearly ripped my/Nanoha's face in melee she is happy for it. Nanoha even doesn't have the stomach to tell her that she is not real.

In general it seems that this game is another supplemental material that does more and better Hayate than the main continuity.

Stage 5+E
First off the Nanoha/Stern contains some of the worst translation. I am grateful for he effort and you can get the gist of what supposedly was being said in Japanese, the usual Nanoha's spiel about understanding being important to the point that it's okay to fight if it leads to it and that she has the power to change things by blowing stuff up, but it's still head scratching at times. I was debating changing those lines along the lines of what I thought they were supposed to say but abstained since I don't know Japanese and would be changing the meaning based on a secondary a bit unreliable source.

The battle with Reinforce reminded me of how annoying it is to fight her. She is not really that strong, they explain it in the background by her slowly loosing her powers as she is transferring her power to Hayate, and this one I fight is a bit of a cheap knock off the Darkness of the Book of Darkness made. What is annoying with her are her really quick cast beams that tend to be able to keep tracking you even through dodges. As can be seen in the video she has hit me multiple times right at the end of my dodge animation. That really should not happen. Also I lost to her one match by being overconfident and trying to end the match fancy like with an SLB. When I god shot down initially I thought it was some bullshit because I was certain my beam blocked her beam. But upon reviewing the footage I see that what got me was the beam from her orb which I did not notice.

Reinforce dialogue was nice, and the part with Stern while not being as good as I thought it might be was still the birthplace of a a nice good frienemity. Also this quote by Nanoha is nice:

"I had to shoot out their sadness with my magic." - When you have a hammer ...

Also from the previous one:

"Yuuno-kun's words are always easy to understand, and makes me feel better...... so I'm glad!" - because most of his explanations and suggestions to you involve words like attack, hit, defeat, destroy, annihilate and such. And it's a reference to a part in A's I think where Yunno is explaining to Nanoha how to wake the Book of Darknes's master and Nanoha is visibly aprehensive that it's going to be complicated and then he explains that she needs to hit the Book REALLY hard and she cheers up since that's simple for her.

I'm likely to try doing Hayate again since she should have most interest in this incident. I did Nanoha first because I like her and it is MGL Nanoha, but Hayate should be really interesting.

One question for 0,5 persons who might have watched this thing. How are subtitles? Readable, unreadable? Should I keep trying to show Japanese subtitles too as I have been doing or simply pave over them which would actually be simpler for me?
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote