Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-24, 09:55   Link #15109
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I think China's copying of other people's technology seriously needs to stop - why copypasta something you don't understand, and it results in the death of many?
I don't know about this particular train. But for example the Velaro CN is produced under a license from Siemens in China. That means technically they do not necessarily copy the product but build it according to original plans. However, I believe their safety standards are completely different in comparison to e.g. europe. The fastest european Velaro offspring is currently used in Spain afaik. Yet the chinese variant, despite having a wider body (more mass) is equally as fast as the spanish one.
Now I did not really understand how this is even possible (considering that the differences in maximum speed that is Velaro E: train achieved a top speed of 403.7 km/h; Velaro CN aka CRH3: CRH3C reached a top speed of 394.3 km/h). I mean in Spain the maximum service speed is 350 km/h and in China despite a wider body and more mass 350 km/h too. There is even a more tuned up version available now with a service speed of 380 km/h the CRH380B + CRH380BL which reached a top speed of 487.3 km/h.
I don't want to be pessimistic, but I doubt the overall design was allround strengthend and adapted to deal with the extra power. In Germany the design was simulated and stress tested for a maximum service speed of 330 km/h (imo a service speed of 350km/h means that the technological safety margins of the design are at its limits). I wonder how long this new variant can be operated at 380 km/h before the first serious accident occurs. Another indicator that the chinese railway is rather lax with safety are the security systems of the trainsets:

Velaro E: ETCS (Level 2), STM-LZB80, ASFA
Velaro D (future german version aka ICX): ETCS, LZB, PZB, TBL 1/2, TVM, ATB, KVB
Velaro CN: ETCS (Level 1)