View Single Post
Old 2010-04-08, 10:51   Link #2093
AC730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
Speaking of quality, I don't know which to pick of the two available from coalgirls.
Oh and it was helpful AC730 but I'm still somewhat confused on which of the two to take.

There's 1080p and 720P. I've had an issue running a high definition amine before but -most- run fine on high def. Most of what I have is H264.
I ran into the same sort of dilemma you had, Lizzie when choosing between which groups. Personally I think they are both great. But since THORA is behind by so much, I suggest sticking with Coal Girls. The great thing is that Coal Girls have soft subbed so you may remove their subs and use another groups script if you wanted.

Now I don't know where to get the scripts individually but I'm finding that one out. But make sure if you find one it's timed to the Blu-Ray version.

Here's a group comparison to show some differences:
http://www.ji-hi.net/bakemonogatari/index.html

Now they don't show the Blu-Ray groups but THORA takes qq and II subs .ass files and times it to their Blu-Ray plus editing of some bits. They translate everything they can on screen as you can see in the pictures while the others don't. It may annoy you, it may not. It's really up to you. Coal Girls does the same except they use Koharubi's script for dialogue if I remember correctly. Coal Girls already covers episode 1 to 10 and have a set date for the next disc which includes episodes 11 to 13. While THORA only has episodes 1 - 5 and no news of progress at all. Coal Girls has mistakes but they said they'll fix them for their next release. Hopefully this helps.

The 720 and 1080 issue really depends on what purpose the show serves as. Is it something you'll watch over again? Or you want to enjoy it on your own television screen? Personally I think 1080 is definitely better because the quality. Now my computer is really slow... I mean slow like it lags the audio for 1080p. So I rarely keep it with .ass subs, that means I encode the subs on to the video itself on my own time so my computer doesn't have to deal with it. If you're computer is the main source for watching and it's too slow I can help fix that problem. But it's better with a Blu-Ray player and a USB.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
I myself asked these once, and had to find out myself so I know quite a lot about .mkv files and their quirks with computers and players now.

Hope this helps!

@ omimon, Thank you! That would be much appreciated!
AC730 is offline   Reply With Quote