View Single Post
Old 2008-05-15, 10:37   Link #23
You could say.....
Late response, I've started Uni again

When we mean source it has nothing to do with hardware. It is the source ie the CD, DVD or file. An Amp is part of the processing/output chain of the equation. If you play back a file at 8khz bitrate using a lossy codec ie MP3 vs a 192khz lossless codec ie FLAC through the most expensive sound system in a acoustically designed isolation chamber the 8khz MP3 will still sound horrendous. IMO it will sound even worse. The more responsive speakers/amplifiers will highlight every recording flaw there is on the source material.

You can't polish a turd, it just gets messy. It doesn't work like that. Tube amps are great provided a) you are willing to wait for the power tube section to warm up in around 15 mins b) you're after a more organic ambience instead of the clinical precision of solid state amplifiers.

For example
Solid State, Note the pint around 2 mins it sounds like a cat's fart, no depth no body no bite, Brittle and sterile sounding
Analog note around the 2min mark more depth more body, smoother not as brittle

Granted these are guitar amps and are extreme examples but the principle is the same in analog vs digital amps in hifi amplification. Note IMO the clean undistorted sound of the Solid state is much nicer sounding over the analog amp, but that may be because of the reverb and other effects he's running into the amp

To Synria:

Xonar DX vs Ht Omega Striker - it depends features are about the same. So it boils down to hardware. Specifically the OPAMP components, the HT Omega is a PCI card with CMI8770 opamps which are pretty good. (CMI8788 is pretty much the gold standard) The Xonar DX is a PCIE x1card, so if you don't have that port forget it. I have been unable to find any hardware details on this card. So in light of this I'll recommend what I know the HT Omega.

There was a time when soundcards offered better performance because it freed the cpu from tasks but we're talking about 386 and 486 era of computing. The only reason things sound like ass before on onboard audio was the substandard audio chipsets/hardware attached to motherboards. Nowadays it's a big selling point so in all reality they're quite good. Souncards still (generally) offer superior hardware mainly the opamps but not to the point where they blow the doors off the onboard audio as they used to. But with all things I've said trust your ear. If you can't find anything wrong with what you hear why bother. Because it sounds like you're not too sure what you're looking for and are fairly satisfied with what you hear.

To Potatochobit
Yes prologic 2 is backwards compatible with mono, stereo, prologic1 and dolby digital. Whatever you feed into it it should come out prologic2. I also don't believe that I've never seen a prologic rig with only two speaker outs. It defies the whole prologic2 5.1 concept to have only two speaker outs. If you can post a pic or pm a photo of the rear panel of the amp or pm me a make and model I'll look into it for you.

Prologic2 is surround sound, however Dolby Digital is as well, they just do it differently. However with the way DD is encoded and transmitted it's just not possible to do so over a pair of RCA input jacks, you can use digital coaxial (looks like an rca but it's got bigger bandwidth equivalent to 6 RCA jacks) or Toslink (optical) both are called S/PDIF connections.

best concise explanation I can find of prologic1 & 2 vs DD
Before you ask "How do I convert fansubs to...." see the following
MP4 -
Convert AVI/MKV/MP4 to DVD
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote