View Single Post
Old 2007-04-08, 13:05   Link #478
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Okay. I'll out myself as a heretic, prepared to be tarred and feathered, but I want to be honest: If this show hadn't been animated by KyoAni, I doubt it would have had any impact at all. It would have been one of many.

Lots of 4-koma style humor, but was it so funny? Without translations - no. And I've been talking to 3 independent translators now, where noone was impressed.

What remains is a catchy OP. But if you're hoping for another KyoAni masterpiece, I'd recommend to lower the expectations back to realistic levels, quickly.
It's important to remember that we still have 4 main characters (and multiple side-characters) to become acquainted with. They might be able to get away with it in the case of Fumoffu?/TSR, as those had an entire 24-episode series before, but for Lucky Star, nobody really knows anything about what's going to unfold, and we need some insight into the characters' personalities.

What I'm trying to say is, pay close attention. AIR's first episode was introductions. Kanon's first episode was introductions. Haruhi's first episode was also introductions - although in a far more... "unique" way.

You shouldn't expect gut-bustingly funny humour from the first episode, because even if it is a 4koma, the series would be far less enjoyable if we didn't get to know the characters first. That's the general purpose first episodes serve, and probably why there was no ED either.

In any case, the OP's addictive.

Edit: Ahh, I see our resident Kaio-chin has woken up.
Sai the Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote