Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-19, 16:31   Link #5462
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Has anyone read an application form to be a U.N medical worker? I will share a little something : a couple of the lines under the "I fully understand to the following" disclaimer is "My life will be at risk of infection of BTDs"* and "violence/violent acts in civil unrest"*. If you are part of a government organisation (i.e military) it will also include "I declare myself to willingly serve...." at the end.
None of that means they have an obligation to disobey direct orders every time an occasion to be reckless presents itself.

They requested guards. They got an order to evacuate instead. It was a tough call (if they'd stayed and had been attacked, they'd have lost even more lives.) Maybe they (and I don't even mean the doctors who merely obeyed orders, but those who gave them in the first place) made the wrong one. But it's easy for us to say their fear are exaggerated, and maybe they are, but he aren't there. They are. And they, too, are working on incomplete information. But instead of only prettied up images for the TV, it includes the sound of gunfire in the not-far-enough distance.

Quote:
The U.N doesn't just take in any TD/H. Those guys SIGNED these sort of forms and now they want to pull out.
Please note that they returned the day after.

Quote:
It is bloody ridiculous that their dedication is just limited to gain brownie points to go to their "heaven" or bolster their ego/reputation.

Doing good deeds is a choice, but dropping out halfway is as good as faking the intention in the first place. As much as it is a waste of time and effort, it is downright pathetic to declare that your guts have been ruptured at a certain point when your personal safety, which is supposed to be at risk anytime, is in somewhat dire straits.
It's a false dichotomy. People don't have to be either reckless idiots or gutless cowards. Plenty of room between the two.

Quote:
As much as I want to help out physically, I lack the professional certification and training to do so (other than carrying a firearm and walking around acting cool).
Funny you should say that, it's exactly what those guys were missing. Some goons to put between them and potential riots. So, when are you leaving?