View Single Post
Old 2011-03-18, 04:56   Link #1552
bayoab

Real news:
Japan's nuke safety agency raised accident seriousness level to 5 from 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Despite knowing why they overexaggerate information (getting more viewers, capturing the attention of the audience more easily), I still wonder why news outlets simply don't want to just give people real info, truth and facts that educate them to what's really happening.
Plain factual news tends to be dry and uninteresting to a western audience. Here's today's events as of earlier: http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/79294.html

Here's a short summary:

What happened today? Firetrucks sprayed water on reactor 1, which may or may not have increased the water level inside, and tried to complete the new power cables, which may restore the cooling systems.

Now, how boring does that read compared to:

Workers race against the clock to prevent disaster. To prevent the reactor from meltdown, firetrucks dumped water on the first reactor, but they were unable to determine if they were able to make any progress. A last ditch effort of connecting a new power cable to restore power to the reactors continues. Even if they succeed, there is no guarantee it will fix everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I've decided to take the black and cynical point of view that ignorance of the masses just means more opportunity for the informed (myself) to profit off of them.

So yes, that's right, iodide away. Just make sure I finish buying some stock first...
So who has to clean up this mess in the end so I can invest in them before they get the billion dollar contract?
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote