View Single Post
Old 2007-04-24, 09:41   Link #6
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
How come no one told me any positive blurbs about this?! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

*breathes*

....anyway, just watched the Lunar-subbed Episode 1. This is my kind of thing; KEY-style (yes I know this probably isn't fair, but I don't know how to put it any other way) slice-of-life phasing into weirdness, setting up a mystery which promises a great deal of emotional trauma for the guy, and the girl.

As it goes, while KyoAni's taking a break from the KEY materials with Lucky Star, I'm probably going to use this as relief from my Kanon withdrawal.

Some thoughts:

1) There was one point where I was seriously thinking, "wait.....why is Mana cooking for Yorito? Could they actually be married (OH SHI-), or is Mana going to become a Kaede (OH SHI-)?"

Otherwise, Mana doesn't actually leave much of an impression on me. As it stands from my opinion, she's the most likely to get the shaft in terms of character development....

2) I actually kind of like the fact that Yorito takes such a great interest in the sky. He comes across as an artistic soul to me, and that's a fairly rare type for a male lead in anime, at least to my experience. Moreover, he's not a Keitaro-class wimp, but surprise surprise, he's not a Kyon-class snark, either. He's a good example of the middle ground. Quite easily the most realistic portrayal of the "Everyman", IMHO.

3) On the other hand, Aono gives me (Yuki/Mai/Rei) vibes, and not much else. Not something to attract me instantly, but since it's Episode 1, I'll keep a close watch. The quiet girls do tend to be the ones with the most character development in the end, putting aside Crispin Freeman's proclaimation that they also "tend to be the kinky ones".......wait. Why am I adding that last bit in?

4) Koyori-imoutochan!!! Kawaii desu!!! Can I stuff her in a duffel bag, huh, huh, please?!

5) Matsuri......mystery girl. Not much to say about her at the moment, until I see more of her.

6) Takeshi-Mayuko.....again, don't know what to say about them. Let's see what time would tell.....

7) All in all, has the potential to become quite good stuff. Now I'm hoping this thread doesn't get contaminated by DanielSong39 and his ilk....

Finally, a question. What day of the week does the Lunar subs come out?
Well, yes, the yadda-yadda I was responsible for in the Generic thread, where Episode 1 is concerned.

So, with that in mind, giving this one a 9, but only because of the twist at the end. First episodes typically doesn't break an 8 with me (not even Kanon's), so this is a good start.