View Single Post
Old 2010-05-26, 16:57   Link #1916
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I haven't seen the movie, so I'm waiting to pass any sort of judgement, but I have a few comments to make, especially so now that I rewatched the first rebuild last night to prepare myself for 2.0.

Most of the complaints from old eva fans are not simply "THEY CHANGED THE PLOT OMGZ." The complaints have more to do with the characters and their interactions.

So when they turn characters like Asuka into your typical Tsundere rather than the bitch we all knew and loved, it is disheartening... Why? Because Rebuild, while trying to attract a new audience, is geared mainly towards the fans of the original. They are banking on old fandom to catch on fire and make them money.

If they were not trying to do so, why call this series Evangelion? Look. I have no problem with a reimagining of the plot. But they should not destroy many of the elements that made Evangelion what it was. The pacing, the characters, the relationships...

The one thing I can forgive the movies for, is the awkward pacing. They have less time to fit in everything they want. But dear lord, do not change the characters. I'm bracing myself for moe Rei, Tsundere Asuka, pointless Mari, and Shinji-Lagann in this movie... As these seem to be the main complaints of old Evangelion fans... But at least the movies provide great eye candy for the angel battles... Zzzz/
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote