Thread: Licensed Claymore Manga
View Single Post
Old 2008-07-04, 04:22   Link #152
Riful
Of The West

Funny, since I just posted about the same in another thread. I want to note that, as much as I complained about "Rubel" and "Ilena", which aber both wrong indeed ... "Uma" and "Renée" are the correct translations, and I'm happy that VIZ got those right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Yes, most unfortunate translations...

Don't know why they decided to call Yuma a horse (uma = horse in japanese). Needless to say, that is not her name.
Well, it is her name. You know Uma Thurman? Yep, she has the same name. It is not based on Japanese words at all, but on this one: http://www.behindthename.com/name/uma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Renee is absurd, but that's life. It's ルネ (RU/LU - NE).
Renee is as absurd as Japanese Katakana spellings can get. Rune is indeed the Japanese spelling of the French (!) name René or Renée. Lune/e is not a name neither is Rune. Renée turns into Rune in Japanese because it is based on the French pronunciation, it is also spelt "Rene" when based on the English one. But Renee is correct. They even added the "e" to use the feminine form of the name, not like back then with Noel/le, where they gave her a male name. I'm so happy xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korinov View Post
To said it quickly, Clare is "Claire", Teresa is "Theresa", Rubel is "Ruvuru" and Rimt, the boss of the organization (as we have seen) is called "Rimuto". I have no clue about the original names (not beyond anime's "Kureaaaaagh" from Raki ) so I dunno if they are correct or not.
They're all correct and almost the same anyway, apart from Rubel which is wrong, while Ruvuru is correct (but it should be Louvre ). Clare and Teresa are the spellings used in the Japanese manga, so you can consider them "correct". However Claire and Theresa are just variant spellings of the same name, which do exist as well.

The other one is Rimuto in Katakana, so keeping it just like that or turning it into Rimt is possible. We don't know where his name comes from really.

Also, Bishou no Teresa means "Smiling Theresa" ... I'm not sure why they added a "faint" in there in English, maybe because it sounds better (it does indeed) or because there is a difference that I don't get, since I'm no native speaker. In French they also simply called her "la souriante", which is about the same as in Spanish.
Riful is offline   Reply With Quote