View Single Post
Old 2004-12-31, 14:11   Link #498
Scherazade
Asturian Guymelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viddern
Ah, I'd seen that spelling before, but i think i prefer Bartfeldt, sounds more like tis pronouced to me. Like Asaran. (The english voice actors butch the names)

Thanks for poitned it out.
Um, no they don't, it seems that you don't really understand the Japanese language. You're taking the fansubs as the "correct" spellings. Unless you are speaking in Japanese, Athrun will NEVER sound like "asuran". There are certain limitations to the language that require that sounds be pronounced a little differently. Andy's last name is pronounced "valtfeld", it's a German name so it's spelled Waltfeld. In Japanese, there is no "v" so it has to be phonetically spelled with the "b" syllable "ba". Furthermore, almost all syllables have to end in a vowel, the only exception is the "n" syllable, which is why the katakana says "barutoferudo", but the name is still Waltfeld.

Even Japanese magazines romanize it as "Athrun". It just can't pronounced that way in Japanese because of the afore mentioned limitations. It's tough to pick an choose what you are going to use in the original Japanese what you'll use in Romanized "butchered" form. You use Impulse, Saviour, Freedom, Strike, etc. but that's not how they are spelled in katakana [inparusu, seibaa, furidamu, sutoraiku, etc.]. If you're going to use the romanized mecha names, may as well use Bandai America's official character name spellings.
Scherazade is offline   Reply With Quote