View Single Post
Old 2012-02-10, 11:48   Link #63
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^But, if you actually encountered a large lizard like creature, I seriously doubt your immediate description would be dragon, it would be of a creature you already know exists (and if you have the required experience, something you've already encountered). Or at least that is my thought process.

To put it in to (my) perspective, when the Strawhats encountered the talking legs (or talking penis with legs?), they immediately assumed the legs were a zombie of some sort, because they had the required experience to recognize that what they were seeing was similar to a zombie. Their immediate reaction wasn't "Is that a Blemmye/Acephali?" (Obviously Oda wouldn't be using African mythology, but I am not well versed in Japanese/Chinese mythology to create an adequate comparison.)

Ah, but there's a difference in that dragons have been universally-known mythical creatures since ancient times. I mean, even in real life people have known about dragons since childhood through storybooks or cartoons/movies/etc. It's nothing like the examples you used with the talking legs, since those are much more specific/obscure mythical creatures than dragons, which EVERYONE would know about. So again, I see no reason why Luffy and co. wouldn't see a giant winged lizard and immediately come to the conclusion that it was a dragon.