View Single Post
Old 2011-07-23, 01:26   Link #3029
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00coyote
In my opinion, Sayaka is defined by the mistakes she made, and how she deals with the consequences of those mistakes builds her character up from what otherwise would be a shallow, one dimensional 'genki girl' stereotype.

Again, in my opinion, to gloss over those mistakes, failures and flaws by: 'She is just a teenage girl' or 'those are just normal things' or 'people are being too judgmental' do an incredible dis-service to such a beautiful tragic figure.
However, this is where I disagree with you.

Sayaka is a 'beautiful tragic figure' because her fall arises from a believable and largely (if not entirely) understandable set of actions and choices that many a normal teenage girl would also succumb to if in Sayaka's shoes.
Hmm. I'm not seeing the disagreement here. These last quoted paragraphs seem to have the same meaning. Let me re-word my last statements, and see if it is a disagreement.

What is a dis-service to Sayaka as a beautiful tragic figure, is when those who support her must first gloss over her flaws to make her more palatable. It's possible to be too judgmental, but it flattens the character out if you gloss too far the other way.

If you have to say: "She was just a teenager, she didn't mean to horribly murder those 2 lowlifes on the train, besides they deserved it anyway." (at least in the anime) or similar, in order for Sayaka to still be liked, that is where the dis-service starts.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote