View Single Post
Old 2012-09-16, 07:26   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Kuuchuu Buranko was not all that obscure at the time it was released. It was a highly-anticipated noitaminA show by Nakamura Kenji, his first since Mononoke. That show and its predecessor, the "Bakeneko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, also have a remarkably "trippy" style. (Links in my posting above.) Personally I liked both those shows much more than Kuuchuu Buranko and more than Nakamura's next noitaminA installment, [C].

Nakamura's most recent show, Tsuritama, about friendship, fishing, and aliens, is probably his most accessible. It has actually outsold the highly-touted Sakamichi no Apollon which it ran alongside with on noitaminA despite that show's high-powered staff including director Watanabe Shinichirou and composer Kanno Yoko.

Some of Nakamura's team at Toei worked on an adaptation of the famous manga GeGeGe no Kitarou for noitaminA called Hakaba Kitarou. That's another hard-to-find show despite having the highest viewing numbers of any series ever aired in that slot. It also had one of my top picks for OP ot the year in 2008, Mononoke Dance, and an art style that emphasized its comic-book origins. I found the visuals more compelling than the story itself.

You might also take a look a Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei, also made for noitaminA by Yuasa Masaaki, known for shows like Mind Game, Kemonozume, and Kaiba. Those shows all have very distinctive visual styles as well.

If you're looking for interesting visuals, I'll also suggest Lupin III/Mine Fujiko which hews closely to its roots in the Lupin series from the 1960s but integrates a more modern design sensibility as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote