View Single Post
Old 2011-02-21, 22:08   Link #8047
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Spoiler for Wilfriback:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
Didn't this argument die out yesterday? Why is it starting back up again?
Says who?

I enjoy a good debate every now and then. (provided neither side gets to insults )

Spoiler for giorno:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
Why would Mikoto be fighting espers and Level 0's in the back alleys of Academy City? That doesn't make sense at all. It has been said that Mikoto is simply a normal girl with powers, and Railgun clearly shows that.

Stop trying to give Mikoto a dark past that she doesn't have.
I wouldn't say Mikoto has a dark past, but given that Touma had to save a bunch of level 0s from Mikoto in the first episode, I'd say she has a habit of getting into fights. Moreover, we know she gets into fights; for one thing, she's always challenging Touma to a duel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Yah but it's just horny guys. No actual big deal. Touma and accelerator have been through more shit. I read that as a child he was almost killed because someone blamed him for his misfortune. Referenced as "the plague". I don't even need to get in details with accelerator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Touma past:
None of which at all gives Touma fighting skills. How does being hit by thrown rocks make you a harder puncher? This stuff might make him more calm in the face of danger (usually it has the opposite effect though), but it doesn't give him better skills in combat or fighting.

Quote:
Just like Accelerator? Just defeating the enemies with their power doesn't gives experience with figthing skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Yes, in the same way that Accelerator has been doing, except to a much lesser degree, in both time and brutality.

Mikoto is a normal girl who occasionally goes out and shocks a bunch of people when they piss her off.

Accelerator is a psycho who attacts attackers and then one hit kills them. Or worse, lets them break their arms trying to hurt him and then play with them afterwards.

Touma is the unlucky guy that somehow pisses off a bunch of delinquents and then fights them off.

Of the three, only one got any real fight experience out of it, and that's Touma.

Accel was very blatently called a weakingly who relied on his ability for everything, and so against people who could counter act it, got his ass kicked. It's only against the Hound Dogs and his time in GROUP that he develops skills.

Misaka relies on a simple shock attack for most back alley crawlers, and they're down.

Compared to 1,2,4,7 and IB, who go around fighting all the time, her experience doesn't compare.
As I said to giorno, how do you know Mikoto doesn't have fighting skills? Also as I pointed out to giorno, Mikoto proved she can use tactics and creative thinking to a high degree in the Railgun manga against Frenda and Mugino. When she was already weakened before she even fought them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
She has friends, money, position, fame, good parents, almost everything except Touma and thats her own fault.

She is normal on Academy City standarts.

She never saw people badly injured or killed and the first time she sees one, goes insane and mentally unstable and at the end goes suicide. There is no need to check the novels on that part, she just tasted a bit of darkness and that was the inmediate aftermath.
Maybe thats why Mugino went all batshit crazy saying Mikoto doesn't knows a bit from the darkness.
All of this talk about Mikoto being "normal" is mere assumption. How does anybody here know what kind of battles she's fought? Looking at how she handled Frenda and Mugino, I'd say she's got serious skills.
But let's consider that she doesn't have skills (whch she dooes, but let's assume she doesn't); Mugino and Frenda of ITEM do. So a complete novice used skills, tactics, and creative thinking to own two experienced fighters, at least one of them a skilled tactician, and the other a powerful Esper? That's even better, because Mikoto would only be even more capable with more experience, then.
Have Stiyl watch a close friend get brutally murdered like Mikoto saw one of her MISAKA clones get brutally murdered against Accelerator. If you honestly expect Stiyl to keep his calm, then we're not watching/reading the same title. Just because Mikoto would go more "crazy" than Stiyl probably would doesn't make her less competent for having a harsher reaction; Kenshin Himura, Vash the Stampede, and fighters with (initially) less experience like Ichigo Kurosaki go BALISTIC when they see innocents get killed or even just hurt a little. It doesn't hinder them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
Now, realistically, the only novels in which Mikoto could have taken part in the main battle(s) are novel 3, 6, 8, 13 and 16(so, yeah, not nearly as many as he claims).
I'm not sure why you think I'm saying Mikoto can get in on the action in scenes other than those...........

Quote:
In two of them(3 and 13) she DID take part in it in a way, so there was no plot hole keeping her away.
"In a way."

Quote:
In novel 8 she never got a chance to fight Awaki at all in the end as accelerator took her out first, and did play her role throughout the novel.
Note I never sid anything about this scene. But now I'll say she could have gotten more action here, yes, but I'm not going to dispute anything here since she at least actually did something as opposed to being conveniently kept out of the main fight.

Quote:
Meaning the only real instances in which Mikoto was kept away from the battle are novels 6 and 16, which are in fact the two novels in which he's claiming Kamachi used plot holes to keep her out of it
Exactly. A bit less severe in volume 16 than in 6, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDude View Post
The point still stands since hey if Mikoto was included in the fights...then hey more Mikoto right? Can we stop referring it to a plot hole when in fact it is nothing more than a convenient plot device? Meh either way this "discussion" is leading nowhere.
For the record:

"A plot device is an object or character in a story whose sole purpose is to advance the plot of the story, or alternatively to overcome some difficulty in the plot."

Doesn't quite apply; Mikoto's absence or inclusion wouldn't affect the overall plot in either direction. (her inclusion would just make more sense; character consistency and lack of plot holes)

But I just like debating something once in a while, not starting an actual argument. So if you guys are getting tired of this or anything, I can shut up and agree to disagree. At the time, I originally just came online to post new info on Jinki: Extend Relation and Karin in the manga section from the two issues of Dragon Age I got in.