View Single Post
Old 2014-01-20, 01:22   Link #39
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Well that's pretty easy when you realize that the majority of an army needs to be logistics.

Though USUALLY you don't see rear line Lt. Colonels getting booted into the infantry.
Tom Kratman. He was an Infantry officer, and was IIRC a Captain or a Major during Gulf 1, missed that for something, and then as an LTC missed Gulf 2 and wound up and Command & Staff college. (Admittedly he missed Gulf 2 due to a heart attack.)

Also, speaking with a guy I know on Spacebattles who's up for LTC, as a general rule, about 40% of all LTCs in the US Army will hold a battalion command, but that includes the logistics guys and what's termed as Combat Service & Support. If you go pure infantry, 70-80% of all Infantry Lt. Colonels will cycle through a battalion command tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Right, but

The human race wasn't facing the brink of extinction, with majority of Earth destroyed and conquered by alien monsters during the Gulf War.

The desperation level is thousandfold, it makes it less believable that someone serving in the military for decades not seeing the combat against these aliens.
From the looks of it, this guy was a REMF, in a posting far away from combat. Such things are possible (especially if his track wasn't as a line officer, like an Intel or Public Affairs billet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Yeah. Allot of people don't really realize how logistically intensive modern warfare is...especially when you're trying to launch offensive operations as shown in these trailers. Who do you suppose keeps all those air planes, vehicles, ships and troops supplied with supplies and fuel?

It gets even crazier when you realize that the logistical tail end you're sending to support your army ALSO has a logistical tail end (trucks and supply planes and ships need fuel to you know)
I'm reminded of what Eisenhower said were the three things that won World War 2: The Deuce-and-half truck, the C-47, and the jeep.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote