View Single Post
Old 2010-09-15, 01:52   Link #128
xee

I'm commenting not because I want to be a troll and revive a dead thread, but because this is one of the first threads in google search when looking for 'sad anime', so it's going to continue to attract/probably is attracting thousands of people, so it's probably best if it stays relatively updated?

So I'm going to recommend some that haven't been mentioned yet.
* = highly recommended, but not just because of the tragedy.
♥ = probably sad enough to make you cry

♥*** Gundam 00 - seriously? this hasn't been mentioned? this is a real tear jerker. it might look like 'just another mecha series', but it focuses very heavily on the character relationships and romance - more heavily on this than on the mecha - and some of the events, including the ending, could have you balling like a baby.
* Princess Tutu - not really a tear-jerker, but the kind of anime that is beautifully bittersweet. (note: despite the childish name and premise, this is not a children's anime. think more of the brother's Grimm original fairytails.)
Rainbow - not romantically tragic like Clannad. a bit more gritty, showing realistic tragedy.
♥* Nabari no Ou - i cried.
Canaan - while this shouldn't be on the top of your 'to watch list', there are definitely some sad moments.
*** NANA - again, i can't believe this hasn't been mentioned. but to be fair, i'm caught up in the manga too and forget where the anime stopped. but i remember that NANA had some really heart wrenching moments. for bittersweet, tragic relationships, It's one of the best series I've ever seen.
Clannad ~After Story~ - when most people say Clannad, they usually mean this, for anyone who is a handful of episodes through Clannad and thinking 'WTF, this is all moe comedy', persevere! S2 will have you bawling your pretty little eyes out. even if you're a bodybuilder. or wrestler. or mafia member. or, IDK, something really tough-notgunnacry-looking.

derp

a lot of my favorites have already been mentioned, (Clannad, Saikano, Haibane Remnei, Elfen Lied, Grave of the Fireflies, etc.) Although I'd highly recommend that anyone looking for the 'pretty, heartbreaking' kind of tragedy to avoid School Days. That's the kind of show that leaves you with serious emotional baggage, but not the 'wow, that was so sad I cried' kind. If you're not HUGE on psychological stuff, you won't enjoy it.